Bariatric Surgery Candidates
Am I a candidate for weight loss / bariatric surgery?
Struggling with one’s weight is a serious issue for many people. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention more than one-third – 78.6 million adults in the United States are obese. Obesity can affect all aspects of your life from your self-confidence to serious health implications like heart disease, diabetes and more. Obesity can be caused by many factors from lifestyle choices to hormone conditions. Of course we strongly recommend scheduling a consultation with one of BASS Medical Group’s esteemed bariatric surgeons to learn more and determine if bariatric surgery is right for you.
Common traits of bariatric surgery candidates
Certain criteria will determine if you are a candidate for bariatric surgery. Here are some examples:
- You are over your ideal body weight by 100 lbs. or more.
- Your Body Mass Index (BMI) is great than 40. (calculate your BMI)
- You suffer from serious health conditions as result of your weight including but not limited to: heart disease, high blood pressure and/or diabetes.
- You are unable to reduce your body weight for a prolonged period of time through diet, nutrition and exercise.
- You are between the ages of 14 and 75.
In addition to these criteria, it is also recommended that your weight gain is not the result of any of these situations:
- You are not currently or recently pregnant.
- You are not suffering from a condition that may have caused serious short term weight gain.